Thursday, November 6, 2008

It's finally over...sigh

Ok,the election is over,for better or worse,whatever.I'm not thrilled with the choice's we had,but,at least we have the lesser of 2 evil's,I think.There still is no veto proof congress,so that part of what is left of our right's is preserved.
Back to work now.It's the first week of November,so in most area's,your garden is done.I just heard the midwest got 40 inche's of snow,so I guess your way past the garden! Have you learned to can yet? WHY NOT?? I've kicked the idea around for a while,finally getting the goodie's I need to try it now.The USDA has a great site for tip's and how to,just google it.My garden here in Arizona is still producing,mostly pepper's,but,still a worthy barter item at least.

In my opinion,canning in pint jar's would be better than quart jar's,as you can preserve smaller batche's,and less waste when used.It may take more time,cost a bit more for more jar's,but the waste saving's will be worth it.Never waste anything!Get spare sealing lid's for the future,as this is easy enough to do in a retreat area,and everything except the sealing lid's are reusable.

Anything you can imagine of can be canned! Meat,fish,veggie's,you name it! I'm looking forward to trying something like stew and chicken,as my local grocery store seem's to have chicken in bulk pack's on sale every week.My freezer is full already,need to try something with it all!
Now that winter has set in,to most of you,it's time to replace,or stock up on the camping gear you need,or wore out.The store's are desparate to sell all the summer item's,such as BBQ stuff,camping gear,fishing gear,to make room for new stuff.A great time to stock up!Garden tool's were on sale here last week,so I bought a new shovel,rake,other little thing's you might overlook.They had tent's and other outdoor item's at smoking price's,but I already have most of them.Now that it's hunting season,watch for gun's and ammo going at sale price's.And another random thought,watch for yard sale's!With the holiday's comingpeople want cash,and it's a great chance to buy up what you need cheap! That sleeping bag with a broken zipper for 2 buck's would make a great blanket,ground cover,whatever!That milk crate full of garbage for fifty cent's?I'd give that for the milk crate alone!{more on those later!}.
Keep a smile on you face,let them wonder what you're up to!

No comments: